shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Quakers settle for a point at Tamworth



Tamworth 0 Darlington 0

Quakers have lost just once in nine matches after picking up a deserved point at the Lamb.

Tamworth started the game at a fast pace and Aynsley Pears had to make a couple of saves, but in the second half Quakers created some good chances but couldn’t convert them. Quakers were perhaps better in the second half than the first, but they couldn’t finish the chances they created.

Nevertheless Quakers are now nine points above the relegation zone with results involving Gainsborough and Telford elsewhere going in their favour.

The game started at a fast pace, with both teams creating chances.

Reece Styche, up against his old club, got round the back in the first minute but couldn’t find anyone, then in Quakers’ next attack David Syers set up Stephen Thompson, whose effort was blocked by a defender ten yards out.

Tamworth left winger Darryl Knights then played a couple of 1-2s to take him into the box, and his low shot was well saved by Pears, then at the other end Thompson forced Dan Jezeph into a good save with an effort from just inside the area.

Tamworth then had three long range shots, the first two were comfortably held by Pears, but the third, from 30 yards by Asante, went just past the right hand post although Pears had it covered.

There was a great chance for Quakers on 13 minutes. Greg Mills won possession on the left, got into the box, and rolled the ball across goal but inches ahead of the onrushing Styche.

The pace of the game slowed after that, with Quakers getting more of a grip.

Tamworth nearly took the lead on 28 minutes. Connor Taylor controlled a through ball on the right and hit a dipping first time shot that Pears just managed to get his right hand to.

Quakers nearly gave a goal away just on half time, when Vaulks and Pears got in a mix up over a high ball — there seemed to be little communication — and Vaulks’ header went over Pears but fortunately for Quakers wide of the post.

And Pears pulled off another good save when Asante broke on the left and fired towards the bottom corner, but the keeper touched the ball around the post

Half timeTamworth 0 Darlington 0

Quakers nearly scored on the resumption. Thompson controlled a high ball from Turnbull in the box and set up Syers, whose drive was well saved by Jezeph

And the keeper pulled off another good save from a curling free kick by Josh Gillies from the left. The keeper left a tempting gap for Gillies to aim it, Gillies curled the ball over the wall towards the bottom corner and the keeper pushed the ball away.

Quakers had another opportunity on the hour, when Luke Trotman cut infield and set up Styche, who ran forward and fired wide.

Trotman had another good run that took him 50 yards to the edge of the box where he set up Thompson, who curled a shot into the keeper’s hands.

Then David Syers popped up on the left and fired powerfully across goal, and Mills at the far post couldn’t quite turn the ball in.

Styche was then unfortunate to see a sidefooted effort from a Gillies corner deflected just past the post, He then volleyed wide from a Gillies cross.

Tamworth threw men forward in the dying minutes without really threatening, and Quakers kept them out for a goalless draw.

Final score: Tamworth 0 Darlington 0

Pears, Trotman, O’Hanlon, Turnbull, Vaulks, Galbraith, Mills (sub Caton 70), Syers, Styche, Gillies, Thompson

Subs: Glover, Bancroft, Brown, Saunders

Booking: Caton


Tamworth: Jezeph, Burns, Sharpe, Kettle, Jones, Lane, Taylor (sub Powell 76), T Shaw, Asante, Verma, Knights (sub Gray)

Subs:, Morley, Thomas, C Shaw,

Booking: Knights

Referee: S Mulhall