shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

National North Round-Up 17/10/2017

We suffered a disappointing defeat on Saturday, as we fell to a 2-1 loss at Nuneaon. David Syers did score in injury time for us, but it proved to just be a consolation.

Blyth Spartans continued their good run, as they won impressively 3-1 at Stockport County. Matthew Warburton gave County the lead from the penalty spot, but the visitors levelled just three minutes later through Adam Wrightson. The game looked to be heading for a draw until Michael Liddle and Jarratt Rivers scored in the final few minutes to give Spartans victory.

Spennymoor suffered a shock defeat at home to Curzon Ashton in a game that turned on a red card. Mark Anderson and Glen Taylor scored in the first 25 minutes for the Brewers. However, Chris Mason gave away a penalty early in the second half and received his second booking in the process. Niall Cummins stepped up to score from the spot to bring Curzon back into it before scoring a further two goals to put them in front and grab his hat-trick. Ben Wharton added further misery for Spennymoor late on, as Curzon won the game 4-2.

The final game in the division on Saturday saw York throw away a 2-0 lead at struggling Leamington. Former Quaker David Ferguson scored his first goal for his new club before Jon Parkin doubled their lead. However, Leamington scored twice in the final five minutes through Junior English and Liam Canavan to earn them a 2-2.

Away from the league, several sides from our division were in action in the final qualifying round of the FA Cup.  Kidderminster Harriers caused the biggest shock of those in action from the National North, as they beat National Premier side Chester FC 2-0 and they have been rewarded with a trip to AFC Fylde in the first round.

Brackley Town were held by Billericay Town to a 3-3 draw, if they are able to progress from the replay they will travel to Leatherhead.

In an all National North tie Chorley and Boston held each other to a 0-0 draw, with the winner hosting Fleetwood Town in the first round.

Telford United overcame FC United of Manchester 3-1 and travel to fellow non-league side Hereford next.

The final sides in cup action were Harrogate and Gainsborough, with Trinity shocking the league leaders 2-1 and they have an excellent chance to progress even further, as they host Slough in the first round.