shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Tamworth v Darlington

Tamworth 2 - 1 Darlington
05 Nov 2016 - 15:00

Quakers’ unbeaten away record came to an end as Tamworth fought back from a goal down to win at the Lamb.

Quakers threw everything forward for the last ten minutes, and had three efforts blocked on the line, but they couldn’t snatch a point.

Quakers took the lead in the first minute! Josh Gillies crossed from the left, Mark Beck was pushed to the ground, and the referee pointed to the spot in just 36 seconds.

Terry Galbraith then stepped up to score his eighth goal of the season.


Last time Quakers were awarded a first minute penalty? We think it was v Crewe in 1994.


Quakers were awarded a free kick in the 4th minute about 35 yards out for a foul on Beck. Galbraith curled the ball into the box, where Beck headed the ball high in the air and into the keeper’s hands.

Quakers created another chance on 11 minutes, when Stephen Thompson slipped the ball through to Nathan Cartman, and his close range shot was blocked by Belshsaw.

Tamworth then had a good spell of pressure, without really creating any clear cut chances,although left winger Greg Mills was quite tricky.

Quakers appealed for a second penalty on 31 minutes when Cartman chased a Thompson ball into the box and went down as he was challenged from behind, but instead he was penalised for handling the ball as he went to ground.

Tamworth had a half chance when Andy Burns crossed from the right and Ross Dyer came in with a towering header that went harmlessly wide.

They had their best chance of the half so far when Galbraith and Jameson hesitated over a long ball allowing Dyer to sneak in, but Jameson blocked his low shot.

 Half time

Tamworth 0 Darlington 1

Tamworth levelled on 49 minutes, when a right wing corner was driven over to the far post, where Dan Newton headed past Jameson.

The home side went in front on 57 minutes. A high clearance from the Darlington defence only went to the edge of the box, where Newton brought the ball down well, turned, and beat Jameson with a left foot shot.

Quakers responded by replacing Phil Turnbull with David Syers.

It was nearly 3-1 on 72 minutes when Morley got round the back and set up Newton, and Jameson threw himself to his right and saved superbly.

Quakers then put on Liam Hardy for Thompson on 74 minutes.

Quakers nearly levelled on 77 minutes. Gillies cross from the right was cleared as far as Cartman, whose  effort from ten yards was blocked by a defender.

Play swept up the other end, and the ball was played in from the left for Davies to have a shot blocked by Jameson, and Dyer, following up, hit the bar.

Liam Marrs to curl a left foot shot that was held by Belshaw.

Liam Hardy and then Brown both had shots blocked on the line as Quakers piled on the pressure, and in the last minute Syers had another stopped on the line.


Thinking about a mini season ticket? Check this out


Jameson, Marrs, Galbraith, Turnbull (sub Syers 60), Burgess, Brown, Thompson (Hardy 74), Falkingham, Beck, Cartman (sub Davie 79), Gillies

Subs: Bell, Watson

Booking: Brown, Syers


Belshaw, Burns, Morley, Deeney, Jones, Lane, Mills, Clarke, Newton, Dyer, Taylor (sub Davies 66)

Subs: Tomassen, Opoku, Pace, Briscoe


Attendance 914