shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Spennymoor Town

Darlington 1 - 1 Spennymoor Town
28 Aug 2017 - 15:00

A second half goal by Gary Brown earned Quakers a point from an evenly-contested game at Blackwell Meadows.

Both sides had their chances to win the game on a hot sunny day, and it would have gone either way at the end.

Moors were awarded a free kick for a foul by Collins on Glen Taylor, but Kallum Griffiths drove the free kick into the wall, then Joe Tait volleyed high over the bar from a Ryan Hall corner.

Ryan Hall then made a run down the right and crossed into the middle where Taylor headed wide.

Quakers had their first attempt when a long throw by Gary Brown dropped for Terry Galbraith whose shot was blocked, and from another long throw by Brown, Mark Beck helped the ball on for David Syers, whose header was held by Dan Lowson.

Taylor then had a header from a right wing free kick saved by Bartlett, and Quakers had their best chance so far on 20 minutes when Thompson played the ball across the box for David Ferguson to hit a low shot that Lowson saved low down to his left.

Quakers had another chance on 23 minutes when Thompson found Gillies on the right, and Gillies cross into the middle was met by Beck, who forced an excellent save out of Lowson with a header.

But Moors went up the other end and took the lead when Foley found space on the left, and struck a left foot shot that beat flew over Bartlett into the net.

Quakers nearly levelled on 30 minutes when Thompson put the ball into the middle from the right, Beck miskicked, but the ball came out for Turnbull to set up Galbraith, who fired just wide.

Quakers had more possession after that, but all they created was a shooting chance from an acute angle for Galbraith that was held by Lowson.



Half time:

Darlington 0 Spennymoor Town 1


Thompson had the first chance of the second half, when he turned 30 yards out, looked up, but he pulled his right foot shot wide.

They had another from a free kick by Gillies that he floated into the box towards Brown, who headed wide, although Quakers appealed for a push on Beck.

Quakers nearly levelled on 55 minutes when Gillies curled a corner in from the left on the breeze, the ball went over Lowson, and Chantler headed off the line.

Quakers levelled on 57 minutes. They won a free kick on the halfway line that Bartlett hoisted high into the box, Beck challenged Lowson, the keeper missed it, but Brown was lurking behind and nodded into the empty net.

But Moors nearly regained the lead when Taylor got around the back of the defence and set up Johnson, who mishit his shot towards goal and Bartlett scrambled along his line and saved.

And Moors missed a great chance when Rob Ramshaw knocked the ball into the Darlo box off  a corner for Foley to hit a low shot that Bartlett saved well.

Quakers responded at the other end, and Galbraith crossed from the left for Thompson to head just over.

Quakers thought they had valid penalty appeals on 72 minutes when Ferguson chased a through ball into the box and seemed to be tripped by Griffiths, but the ref waved play on.

Moors sub Jake Orrell broke clear into the Darlo box from the right, but Bartlett saved his low shot.

At the other end when Darlo attacked, Ferguson tried his luck with an ambitious shot from 40 yards, but Lowson was alert and held on.


When Moors attacked again down the right, Collins made an excellent interception from Ramshaw’s pull back, and in Moors next attack, Ramshaw drove across the face of goal.

Final score: Darlington 1 Spennymoor Town 1


Attendance 2050

Teams: Bartlett, Marrs, Ferguson, Galbraith, Collins, Brown, Thompson, Turnbull, Beck, Syers, Gillies

Subs : Wheatley, Wilczynski, Portas, Caton, Fenwick

Spennymoor: Lowson, Griffiths, Chantler, Chandler, Tait, Curtis, Hall, Ramshaw, Taylor, Johnson, Foley

Subs Mason, Porter, Henry, Anderson, Orrell