shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v South Shields (FA Cup)

Darlington 0 - 3 South Shields
16 Sep 2017 - 15:00

Quakers were bundled out of the FA cup by South Shields at Blackwell Meadows

Quakers had more of the possession, but it was Shields who took their chances in front of goal.

Quakers had the first attempt on 4 minutes, Josh Gillies picked the ball up 30 yards out and tried a low right foot shot that Norton gathered easily.

Shields took the lead on 6 minutes when a free kick was curled in from the left for the ball to be flicked on by Shaw, and Morse coming in at the far post, volleyed past Bartlett.

Quakers had a penalty shout turned down when Beck flicked the ball on for Syers, who went down in the area, but the ref waved play on.

James Caton had a long range effort at goal on 17 minutes with his left foot from the right hand side, but the ball went wide.

Quakers had more of the possession, and had a half chance on 25 minutes when Beck laid off Syers’ pass for Gillies to hit a shot with the outside of his right foot, wide from 25 yards.

Quakers went 2-0 down on 27 minutes. Callaghan found space on the left hand side to fire the ball low into the six yard box where Cal Finnigan touched the ball past Bartlett.

Quakers had an immediate chance to reply when Beck chested down a right wing cross for Caton to drag wide from the edge of the box.

On 37 minutes, Beck laid off a Caton cross for Syers to fire wide, and on 42 minutes a mishit shot by Wheatley deflected off Beck into Norton’s hands.

Half time: Darlington 0 South Shields 2

Quakers took off Syers for the second half and replaced him with Stephen Thompson.

Shields  had a chance for 3-0 when the ball ran loose for Jamie Homes, but Bartlett smothered the ball well.

Quakers made a second sub on 50 minutes, Saunders coming on for Caton

Shields had penalty appeals turned down for handball .when Marrs blocked Cogden’s shot, then Shields sub Sullivan put a good chance wide.

Bartlett also pulled off a good save at the foot of his post from Cogdon, and then he saved full length from Briggs, who had found room at the edge of the box.

Ferguson whipped a great ball in from the left, but Norton got to the ball before Beck, then Saunders crossed from the left for Marrs to head wide.

It was all over in the last minute when Shields broke away, and Richardson set up Finnigan to sidefoot home,

Attendance 1814


Bartlett, Marrs, Ferguson, Turnbull, Burgess, Galbraith, Wheatley, Syers (sub Thompson 46), Beck, Gillies (sub Scott 65), Caton (sub Saunders 50)

Subs from: Wilczynski, Cass, Steele, Vaulks

South Shields: Norton, Baxter, Callaghan, Shaw, Morse, Arca, Smith, Briggs, Cogdon (sub Richardson 78), Finnigan, Holmes (sub Sullivan 54)

Subs: Storey, Lister, Nicholson, Pattison, Stephenson