shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Kidderminster Harriers

Darlington 0 - 1 Kidderminster Harriers
02 Sep 2016 - 19:45

Darlington keeper Peter Jameson, who passed a late fitness test, had to come sliding off his line to stop Mani Dieseruvwe from latching on to a through ball in the third minute.

Quakers had a chance on 12 minutes. Kev Burgess launched a long ball forward that went over Mark Beck’s head, but the ball fell behind him for Liam Hardy who controlled instantly, but pulled his left foot shot wide.

Kidderminster took the lead on 13 minutes when Arthur Gnahoua picked the ball up on the left, moved inside, and hit a right foot shot out of Jameson’s reach into the top corner of the net.

Quakers tried to hit back, and when Beck headed down a high left wing cross by Burgess, a defender hurriedly cleared over his own crossbar . Quakers forced another corner from that setpiece, and Terry Galbraith headed just wide from Thompson’s left wing inswinger.

Quakers missed a great chance for the equaliser on 30 minutes. Thompson won the ball midway inside the Kidderminster half, ran at the defence and slipped the ball to Galbraith, who blazed the ball over the top from ten yards out.

The chances continued. Beck flicked on a long ball from Hunter that Hardy controlled, but under pressure on the edge of the box, he fired straight at Sam Hornby.

But Kidderminster nearly caught Quakers out on the counter on 37 minutes, when Elton Ngwatala cut in from the right and hit a left foot shot that took a deflection and went just past Jameson’s post.

However, Quakers went close twice more. First Beck almost caught out Hornby wit h a left foot shot from the corner of the box, and from the corner that followed, Thompson helped the ball on for Burgess, who headed just over the top.

Half time

Darlington 0 Kidderminster 1

Kidderminster nearly made it 2-0 at the start of the second half, when Gnahoua again found space just outside the area, and hit a powerful left foot shot that Jameson palmed over the top.

Quakers had a free kick on the right on 55 minutes that was hoisted into the penalty area by Galbraith, and sub Wayne Thomas misdirected his clearing header into his own keeper’s hands.

Quakers boss Martin Gray made two chances on 62 minutes, taking off Tom portas and Liam Hardy, and replacing them with Adam Nowakowski and Nathan Cartman.

Quakers were awarded a free kick 30 yards out for a push on Beck, but Galbraith curled the free kick a yard over the top.

Quakers nearly levelled on 76 minutes when Marrs sent Mitchell racing down the right, and he crossed perfectly for Beck, six yards out, to head again the crossbar, and when the ball bounced out to Nowakowski, his volley was superbly clawed away by Hornby.

The keeper also pulled off a good save from a 30 yard free kick by Mitchell.

The keeper also pulled off a good save from a 30 yard free kick by Mitchell as Quakers piled on the pressure, taking the corner count to double figures.

But as Quakers pushed up, Kidderminster nearly caught them on the break when Gnahoua set up Ryan Croasdale, who sidefooted wide from ten yards.

Agonisingly, Quakers were denied an equaliser when Thompson’s corner from the left reached Galbraith at the far post, but his effort was blocked on the line.

Full time darlington 0 Kidderminster 1


(4-3-1-2) Jameson, Marrs, Burgess, Hunter, Galbraith, Turnbull, Portas (sub Nowakowski 62), Scott (sub Mitchell 53 mins), Thompson, Beck, Hardy (sub Cartman 62),

Subs:  Bell, Purewal,

Booking: Thompson


(4-3-3)  Hornby, Williams, Francis-Angol, Croasdale, Lowe, Tunnicliffe, Waite (sub Austin 66 mins), McQuilkin (sub Thomas 55 mins), Dieseruvwe, Ngwatala (sub Brown 82), Gnahoua

Subs: Truslove, Stambolziev

Goal: Gnahoua 13 mins

Booking: Tunnicliffe

Attendance 1729