shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Gainsborough Trinity

Darlington 5 - 2 Gainsborough Trinity
15 Oct 2016 - 15:00

Darlington’s second half subs won the game for Quakers as they scored three goals in the last half hour.

Kevin Burgess came on the field at half time to allow Terry Galbraith to go left back, while two more subs, Nathan Cartman and newcomers David Syers, both chipped in with goals in a match of four penalties.

Gainsborough nearly took the lead after 2 minutes, when James Reid picked the ball up on the right, turned quickly, and hit a left foot shot from 25 yards that Peter Jameson just managed to touch the ball around the post.

Quakers went close on 6 minutes, when Mark Beck played a 1-2 with Liam Hardy on the edge of the gainsborough box, and his left shot was fumbled by George willis but no one could take advantage.

Quakers went close again a minute later, this time Stephen Thompson crossed from the right for Gary Brown, who had come up unmarked, to head wide from six yards.

And another chance came Quakers way when Josh Gillies found space on the right and crossed low into the box for Hardy to fire over the top

 Gainsborough made a sub on 16 minutes , defender Iaon Evans going off and replaced by Matthew Wilson., then the game had to be stopped when Jordan Watson collided with his own teammate Josh Falkingham.

Gainsborough took the lead on 22 minutes when Gary Brown missed a through ball on the right which Nathan Jarman seized upon and then fired across Peter Jameson for the opener.

It was nearly 2-0 on 27 minutes, when Reid curled a 25 yard free kick over the wall, and Jameson went low down to his right to push the ball away.

 Quakers were awarded a penalty on 38 minutes when a left wing cross by Gillies was handled by a defender, but George Willis dived low to his right and pushed Galbraith’s penalty on to the post.

Quaker then gained a free kick from the left which was floated in by Gillies, but the assistant flagged for a penalty, and this time Galbraith beat the keeper in the same corner.

But Gainsborough nearly regained the lead when Ashley Worsfold beat his marker and hit a right foot shot just over the top.

Half time 1-1

Quakers made a sub at half time, Kevin Burgess coming on for Jordan Watson.

The move paid immediate dividends. Quakers won a corner on the right that Thompson played short to Galbraith, who crossed to the far post where Brown headed firmly past the keeper.

Gainsborough were awarded a penalty on 54 minutes when Josh Falkingham was penalised for handball on the corner of the box — the ball seemed to hit him on the arm — as the ball came in from the left, the referee pointed immediately to the spot, where Reid sent Jameson the wrong way.

Quakers made two subs, but it was Gainsborough who nearly scored next when Thewlis got through on the left, and his shot was blocked by Jameson.

Quakers broke clear with a good ball by David Syers, who found Cartman on the left and he played the ball through for Gillies who rounded keeper Willis but couldn’t turn the ball in.

Quakers regained the lead on 75 minutes when Thompson crossed deep from the right to the far post where Beck did extremely well to lay the ball back for Cartman to turn home his second goal of the season.

Quakers went 4-2 up when Syers burst through the middle and was fouled just inside the area. The referee pointed to the spot for the fourth time in the game, and Galbraith sent the keeper the wrong way.

It was 5-2 on 81 minutes when Beck laid the ball off nicely for Syers to run on and beat the keeper with a low left foot shot.

Attendance 1,424

Jameson, Marrs, Watson (sub Burgess 46), Turnbull, Brown, Galbraith, Thompson, Falkingham (sub Syers 60), Beck, Hardy (sub Cartman 56), Gillies

 Subs Bell, Davie

Bookings: Watson, Hardy



Team: Willis, Lacey, Beatson, Sparrow, Evans (sub Wilson 16), Picton, Reid (sub Templeton 62), Wiles, Worsfold, Jarman, Thewlis

Subs: Quinn, Rothery, Roma

Booking: Jarman, Thewlis