shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Boston United

Darlington 4 - 1 Boston United
13 Aug 2016 - 15:00

A fantastic blast of three goals in eight minutes in the second half gave Quakers the points against Boston United in their first home game.

Boston, who lost in the play off semi finals last season, didn’t know what hit them, with Liam Hardy, Phil Turnbull — possibly his first for the club but there is a question mark — and Mark Beck on his debut scoring.

Quakers had the first chance in the second minute. Gary Brown drove the ball across the penalty area , Stephen Thompson picked it up, took a touch, and hit a left foot shot across the face of goal.

But Boston nearly scored with a good free kick from 40 yards out that was slipped through to Waide Fairhurst, who turned and hit a right foot shot that seemed to hit Peter Jameson in the face before it was cleared.

Boston had another chance on 12 minutes when Jason St Juste, once of Darlington, crossed low from the left and Jay Rollins got one the end of it, but his effort went harmlessly wide.

 Boston had another chance when Leon Scott lost the ball in midfield and the ball was played through for Fairhurst 1 on 1, but he fired over the top.

But Quakers hit back with an effort on 17 minutes. A deep free kick by Jameon from the right was nodded down by Beck for Brown, who couldn’t get a shot away from six yards out.

Quakers nearly scored on 20 minutes, when Terry Galbraith played a ball through for Hardy, who turned the ball past the advancing keeper, but agonisingly wide.

Quakers had appeals for a penalty turned down when Phil Turnbull weaved his way into the box and seemed to be tripped. The ref waved play on, and the ball dropped back for Turnbull, who hit a right foot shot that was headed away by a defender.

Quakers went their closest yet on 33 minutes when Stephen Thompson played the ball towards Scott 25 yards out, the midfielder couldn’t control it but the ball ran on for Galbraith to sidefoot just wide.

On 39 minutes Galbraith beat a defender on the left and drilled the ball into the near post, and Hardy was inches away from connecting.

Quakers were awarded a penalty on 42 minutes when a long throw by Brown into the box caused chaos, Hardy tried to turn but was tripped by a defender. The ref pointed to the spot and Galbraith converted.


Quakers went 2-0 up after 50 minutes when a long clearance by Turnbull bounced off the Kalern Thomas’ shoulder, and the ball dropped nicely for Liam Hardy to run through, round Dibble and slide the ball home.

Within two minutes, it was 3-0, when Turnbull picked up a throw in from the right, and fired the ball into the box where it it was deflected past the keeper – his first goal for the club.

It was 4-0 on 58 minutes, this time Galbraith crossed from the right to the far post for Mark Beck to nod into the bottom corner.

Not surprisingly, manager Martin Gray completed his substitutions, taking off Leon Scott, Liam Hardy and Stephen Thompson and replacing them with Tom Portas, Nathan Cartman and Adam Mitchell.

There were loud cheers when Turnbull lost the ball to Callum Chippendale who ran though 1 on 1 against Pete Jameson, but the keeper timed his run from the line perfectly to take the ball off the striker’s feet.

Jay Rollins pulled a goal back in the last minute for Boston

Attendance 1,435




Jameson, Marrs, Galbraith, Turnbull, Burgess, Brown, Gillies, Scott, Beck, Hardy, Thompson


Subs not used: Portas, Bell, Cartman, Mitchell, Nowakowski


Boston United

Dibble, Thomas, Burgess, Chippendale, Maguire, Pepe-Ngoma, Rollins, Roberts, Fairhurst, Smith, St Juste

Subs not used: Johnson, Colley, Hilliard, Wildin, Adams