shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Boston United

Darlington 1 - 2 Boston United
07 Apr 2018 - 15:00

Quakers were below their recent best when they were beaten at home by Boston, the first home defeat in six matches.

Quakers never really got going, although they nearly snatched an equaliser with their last attack of the game.

Quakers got a free kick after 4 minutes for a foul on Stephen Thompson on the right. The ball was lofted towards Josh Heaton by Phil Turnbull, but keeper George Willis came off his line to hold the ball in front of the big centre half.

Ashley Hemmings had the first shot of the game on 13 minutes when he turned quickly on the edge of the box and fired left footed, and the ball was deflected out for a corner, which Aynsley Pears fisted away.

Then James Clifton cut in from the right and tried a low shot that was easily saved by Pears.

Reece Styche then went down injured and was able to continue after treatment.

Boston had a good chance on 24 minutes when Abbott won the ball on the edge of the box and played the ball back for Stephen Brogan, who fired high over the top.

Quakers got a free kick for a pull on Dave Syers about 30 yards out, but Terry Galbraith’s free kick was headed away.

Quakers had their first real chance on 32 minutes when Josh Gillies corner from the left was helped on for Styche to head just wide at the back post.

Boston went in front on 36 minutes when Reece Thompson won the ball inside the Darlo area, ran forward, and fired across Pears into the net — the first goal Quakers had conceded in five matches.

Quakers went 2-0 down on 39 minutes when Clifton cut into the middle from the right and set up Ashley Hemmings, who beat Pears wit ha low left foot shot from twelve yards out.

Quakers tried to reply with a free kick by Gillies from 25 yards out, but the ball went over the top.

Quakers pulled a goal back just before half time. Gillies played the ball in to Styche, who turned quickly and beat the keeper with a low left foot shot, his 11th for Quakers and much-needed.

Half time:

Darlington 1 Boston United 2

Boston winger Hemmings nearly got a third just after half time, when he moved in from the right and fired a left foot shot just past the left hand post.

But Boston missed a great chance for 3-1 when Clifton’s shot was parried by Pears, and Beesley following up, somehow managed to miss an open goal.

Quakers had a chance for an equaliser when Gillies whipped a free kick in for Heaton to head just wide.

Quakers made two subs on 63 minutes, Phil Turnbull and Josh Gillies coming off for James Caton and Greg Mills.

However, despite all their efforts, quakers were unable to break down the Boston defence.

Quakers poured men forward in stoppage time. They had a penalty shout when Heaton appeared to be pushed when he went for Thompson’s cross, and when Mills set up Caton, the sub fired over the top.


Attendance 1188


Two changes in the Darlo line up. Tom Portas is in for the injured Luke Trotman, and David Syers returns in place of James Caton

Darlington: Pears, Portas (sub Collins 87, O’Hanlon, Turnbull (sub Mills 63), Heaton, Galbraith, Gillies (Caton 63), Wheatley, Styche, Syers, Thompson

subs: Glover, Bancroft

Booking: Heaton



Willis, Middleton, Brogan, Thanoj (sub McGuire 67), Keane, Qualter, Clifton (sub Smith 82), Abbott, R Thompson, Beesley (sub Wafula 85), Hemmings


Subs: Tshimanga, Stewart

Bookings; R Thompson, Keane, Qualter, McGuire, Clifton