shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Curzon Ashton v Darlington

Curzon Ashton 1 - 2 Darlington
15 Aug 2016 - 19:45

Quakers won their first away game of the season thanks to a goal early in each half.

But after taking a 2-0 lead, Curzon pulled a goal back, and then in stoppage time, missed a sitter for an equaliser, much to Quakers’ relief.

But again, Quakers played well, and could have had the points in the bag by half time if they had taken their chances.

Quakers took the lead with their first real attack after 4 minutes, when Kevin Burgess played the ball through for Liam Hardy to coolly run through and slip the ball through the keeper’s legs and into the net for his second of the season!

Curzon replied with a free kick from the right which was curled in by Paul Ennis for Niall Cummins to glance wide.

There was another chance when Quakers put the ball into the Curzon box again, and Gary Brown nodded the ball through to Hardy, who under pressure, put the ball wide.

It was nearly 2-0 on 11 minutes when Josh Gillies crossed from the bye line on the left to Mark Beck, whose header from the corner of the six yard box was blocked by keeper Cameron Mason.

Ennis had a shot from an acute angle saved by Jameson, but Quakers were soon back at the other end when Hardy found Gillies on the edge of the box, and Gillies’ right footed was deflected away for a corner.

There was another chance for Quakers on 19 minutes when Phil Turnbull put a deep cross from the left into the box, where Beck headed just wide.

Curzon had a goal disallowed after 22 minutes when they broke from a Darlington free kick down the right, and Ennis put the ball into the middle for Iain Howard to turn into the net, but it was disallowed for offside.

After that excellent first 20 minutes , Quakers didn’t create any more chances until the 41st minute when Adam Mitchell crossed from the right for Beck to head just over, then the impressive Gillies made a good run to the edge of the box and fired just wide.

Curzon almost caught Quakers on the break on 49 minutes and Ennis got away, but Jameson blocked at his feet.

Quakers nearly scored when Hardy won possession inside his own half , and found Tom Portas who spirinted 60 yards and set up Gillies,

Quakers went 2-0 up on 52 minutes, when Galbraith curled a corner into the six yard box from the right and Burgess stabbed the ball home

But Curzon pulled a goal back within two minutes, when Howard had a shot blocked, and Cummins stabbed the ball past Jameson.

Quakers nearly went 3-1 up when Turnbull crossed deep from the left to the far post, where Beck headed into the side netting from a tight angle.

However, Curzon pounced on a Darlo mistake and broke swiftly away through Ryan Hall, who took a touch too many in the box and fired into the side netting.

Quakers hit back, and Burgess forced his way into the box and the ball dropped for Beck, who at full stretch stabbed the ball wide.

Quakers tried to keep it tight, but wasted a great breakaway when Beck, Portas and Purewal got away against two defenders, but Beck’s ball inside for the supporting Scott was intercepted.

Quakers nearly got the third again when Beck was fouled 5 yards outside the box and Gillies curled the ball over the wall, but Mason pushed the ball over the bar.

Darlington: Jameson, Marrs, Galbraith, Turnbull, , Burgess, Brown, Mitchell (sub Scott 63), Portas, Beck, Hardy (sub Purewal 53), Gillies (sub Nightingale 90+3)

Subs: Bell, Cartman

Bookings: Brown, Marrs

Curzon Ashton:

Mason, Tomsett (sub A Watson 77), Guest, Hunt, Danny Hall, Hampson (sub Hazeldine 65), Rowney, Howard, Cummins, Ennis, Ryan Hall

Subs: Brooke, R Watson, Wright

Bookings: Danny Hall , Guest, Cummins, Hazeldine

Referee: Aaron Jackson

Attendance 482