shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Curzon Ashton v Darlington

Curzon Ashton 1 - 0 Darlington
30 Sep 2017 - 15:00

Quakers only had themselves to blame for this defeat at the Tameside Stadium.

They missed several good chances in both halves, and they were made to pay when Curzon sub Tyrell McKenzie scored a last minute winner.

There was early pressure for Quakers with Adam Dawson showing some nice touches, but they didn’t get the ball into the Curzon penalty area.

At the other end, there was a good tackle by David Ferguson to stop James Baillie breaking down the right.

Great chance after 9 minutes when Liam Marrs picked up a lay off from Dawson got to the bye line and chipped nicely to the far post, where Mark Beck headed just wide.

Quakers were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box on 14 minutes for a foul on Beck, but Gillies drove the ball into the wall.

Curzon replied with a header by Ben Wharton from a right wing cross, that Ferguson turned behind.

Quakers had another chance on 25 minutes. Dawson switched to the left and found Ferguson who crossed for Thompson to head wide from six yards.

Thompson then found Marrs with a lovely pass on the right, but Marrs cross was cleared at the near post, and Dawson hit a 25 yarder that was deflected wide of the post.

Quakers have plenty of possession, but can’t break through.

Quakers had another good move down the left that ended with Wheatley being crowded out on the edge of the box, then Thompson made a good diagonal run to get into the box on the right, but pulled his shot well wide.

Quakers then missed a great chance when a poor clearance by the keeper fell for Thompson, who ran into the box and blazed over.

But Curzon were equally as guilty when Joe Guest pulled the ball back for Richard Baker, who blazed over from six yards out.


Half time 0-0 — but Quakers should be in front!


Quakers had penalty appeals turned down on 50 minutes when Dawson swung a corner in from the left and Beck’s shot at goal hit a defender on the arm, but the referee waved play on.

Two minutes later, Dawson crossed from the left, and his cross was cleared out to Thompson, whose shot from the edge of the box was blocked.

Another chance went begging on 56 minutes. Dawson found Ferguson on the left, and the full back crossed into the middle for Beck, under pressure, to head wide.

Tom Portas came on for Dawson on 57 minutes, then two minutes later Nathan Cartman for Thompson.

Cartman had a long range chance on 65 minutes, when Beck flicked the ball on to him, the sub made space and curled a right foot shot into the keeper’s hands.

Cartman then had a goal harshly disallowed because the ref said that he had tripped Shaw as he chased a good pass from Wheatley.

Quakers had to be alert at the other end when Curzon broke away, and Guest had a left foot shot parried by Bartlett.

Quakers made their last sub on 75 minutes, Harvey Saunders coming on for Josh Gillies.

Quakers kept going and had another chance on 80 minutes when Ferguson played a 1-2 with Wheatley, ran into the area, but fired wide. More frustration!


But as Quakers pressed forward, they left themselves open at the back, and Baker nearly took advantage when he broke forward, sidestepped a challenge, and then fired wide, and then he missed a better chance when a clearance dropped to him, but he sidefooted straight at Bartlett.

And with two minutes left, Tyrell Mckenzie picked the ball up on the right, and chipped the ball over the stranded Bartlett.


Bartlett, Marrs, Ferguson, Turnbull, Collins, Galbraith, Thompson (sub Cartman 59), Wheatley, Beck, Gillies (sub Saunders 75) Dawson (sub Portas 57)

Subs: Wilczynski, Scott.

Curzon: Mason, Baillie, Guest, Rowney, Howson, Shaw, Leonard, Marshall (sub Clark 79)  Wharton, Baker, Bianga (Sub McKenzie 58)

Subs:  Crothers, Butterworth, Shenton