shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Darlington v Curzon Ashton

Darlington 1 - 3 Curzon Ashton
28 Jan 2017 - 15:00

Quakers were caught three times on the break when they were beaten at home by Curzon Ashton.

(You can watch the highlights and MG’s reaction on the website)

Quakers launched a late fightback when sub Nathan Cartman scored, but they couldn’t reduce the deficit further.

Darlo started with David Ferguson playing in front of Terry Galbraith on the left, and Stephen Thompson up front with Mark Beck.

The first chance was to Curzon on 3 minutes when Ryan Hall played a one-two and then pulled his shot well wide of the left hand post.

Curzon took the lead after 10 minutes, when they broke up the left hand side on a breakaway from a Darlington setpiece, and Matty Warburton pulled the ball back for Ryan Hall to slam into the roof of the net.

They went close again with a right wing cross that was headed into Wilczynski’s hands by Warburton.

Quakers didn’t really threaten much, although a good long throw from the right by Gary Brown was aching for a touch when it went through everybody.

Another chance came Curzon’s way, this time a header by Daniel Shaw from a right wing corner was headed away by Galbraith from under his own crossbar.

Quakers’ first real chance was on 32 minutes when Gillies found Galbraith on the left, and the full back ran forward and struck a left foot shot past the post, and they had another when Ferguson crossed well from the left for Gillies to head wide..

Darlington defender Gary Brown was then booked for what seemed a clean tackle on the halfway line when he seemed to win the ball.

Quakers had a chance on half time when Galbraith crossed from the left, Thompson headed the ball into the middle for Ferguson to head over.

Half time

Darlington 0 Curzon Ashton 1



Attendance 1761

Quakers made a substitution at half time, Josh Falkingham came on for Liam Marrs.

Quakers had a chance on 51 minutes when Falkingham played the ball inside for Thompson to hit a 25 yarder just over the bar.

But Curzon broke and nearly scored the second on 53 minutes. Burton caught an inswinging corner under the crossbar. From his clearance, Warburton got away amd hit a left foot shot just over.

Quakers nearly levelled when Galbraith crossed from the left for Beck to head just wide.

But Curzon went 2-0 up on 56 minutes when Warburton got away again, and this time he coolly slotted left footed past Wilczynski.


That was the signal for the start of some Darlington pressure, and in one scramble Beck had an effort cleared off the line.

It was 3-0 on 67 minutes when Hall ran more than 70 yards down the right, took advantage of a Brown slip and squared for Warburton to tuck in.

But Quakers pulled a goal back on 70 minutes when Phil Turnbull chipped a free kick into the box for Cartman to guide into the top corner.

 There was nearly another when a free kick by Turnbull was headed into the keeper’s hands by Beck, and Cartman had the ball in the net from a Beck nod down, but he was ruled offside.

Then Brown charged forward from centre back and hit a right foot shot that was deflected just over.

In stoppage time Cartman couldn’t force the ball in from close range from another Beck lay off

Darlington: Wilczynski, Marrs (sub Falkingham 46), Galbraith, Turnbull, Burgess, Brown, Ferguson, Scott (Syers 62), Beck, Thompson, Gillies (sub Cartman 62)

Subs: Jameson, Saunders

Curzon Ashton

Burton, Baillie, Hampson, Hunt, Shaw, Stott, Hall, Howard, Cummins, Warburton (sub Tomsett 73), Rowney

Subs not used: Wright, Ennis, Jennings, Clarke

Booking: Hall


Referee: D Underwood