shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Chorley v Darlington

Chorley 1 - 1 Darlington
04 Feb 2017 - 15:00

Quakers were unlucky not to come away with all three points at Chorley, but they’re still nicely in play off contention.

Manager Martin Gray made changes to the side, and they paid off as they looked more solid in defence and created some good chances,

Quakers nearly took the lead after 2 minutes. Mark Beck helped on a free kick for Stephen Thompson to lay off for Nathan Cartman, who hit a first time shot inches over the top corner of the goal.

But Chorley replied when Marcus Carver got away on the end of a quick throw in and pulled the ball across the face of goal without anyone getting a touch, then he got away at the back post but could only weakly turn a right wing cross into wilczynski’s hands.

Quakers had a chance at the other end, a David Ferguson free kick fell for David Syers at the far post, and he volleyed just over.

Chorley caused danger at an 11th minute corner which was driven low for Andy Teague to fire at goal, but Wilczynski saved.

Quakers went up the other end, and Thompson had a powerful shot from the edge of the blocked for a corner – and they scored from it.

Ferguson’s corner was nodded down by Brown for Burgess to force in from close range, his fourth goal of the season.

They nearly got a second from another corner on 20 minutes, when Ferguson’s right wing corner was headed powerfully towards goal by David Syers, and a defender cleared off the line.

Nathan Cartman got away from his man on 28 minutes and lined up a shot towards goal, but seemed to scuff his shot into the keeper’s hands.

Chorley replied with a cross from the left by Beesley that Sampson headed into Wilczynski’s hands.

After Mark Beck headed off his own line from a corner Chorley equalised on 33 minutes when Sampson chested a ball through the middle down nicely for Carver to hit powerfully left footed past the stranded Wilczynski..

Quakers went up the other end and nearly regained the lead when Beck got through, but he lobbed the ball just wide.

And Quakers had another chance when Thompson and Beck combined nicely to put Cartman in 10 yards out, but Ritchie Branagan smothered at his feet.


Chorley had the first chance of the second half, a header by Dale Whitham from a left wing cross that went straight into Wilczynski’s hands.

Beck and Syers then combined for Cartman to pick the ball up and curl just over right footed, then Cartman had another chance on his left foot from the edge of the box that Brannagan pushed away.

Thompson was fouled 30 yards out and he curled the ball over the wall and Brannagan saved at the second attempt, then Syers and Thompson both had long range shots saved.

But Chorley nearly scored with a shot on the turn by Sampson just inside the penalty area  that flew just wide.

However, Quakers nearly got the lead on 70 minutes when Brown put Thompson through into the area, and with the keeper advancing he poked the ball wide, but claimed that he was tripped in doing so.

It was all Quakers at this point. Cartman got away down the left in space, and dragged his shot across the face of goal and Burgess was just off target with a header from Thompson’s corner.

Carver always caused danger, and he went even closer with a left foot shot that went inches wide.

Quakers had a chance to win it with four minutes left when Thompson got through again, but Branagan saved well at his feet.

Team: Wilczynski, Falkingham, Ferguson, Burgess, Brown, Turnbull, Syers (sub Galbraith 80), Scott, Thompson (sub Saunders 90+1), Beck, Cartman (sub Gillies 75)

Subs: Jameson, Blackford

 Chorley: Branagan, Challoner. Beesley, Teague. Leather, Jordan, Blakeman, Whitham, Carver, Sampson, Cottrell

Subs: Charnock, Azam, McDaid, O’Keeffe, Roscoe