shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Buxton v Darlington (Pre-Season)

Buxton 1 - 3 Darlington
02 Jul 2016 - 15:00

Former Buxton player Liam Hardy was on the mark as Quakers won their first friendly by 3-1 at Buxton.

Hardy levelled in the first half, with Stephen Thompson and Adam Mitchell scoring after half time.

Quakers’ first threat on the Buxton goal was on 5 minutes when former Buxton player Liam Hardy turned quickly on the corner of the box advanced a couple of yards and hit a right foot shot over the top.

Then in Quakers’ next attack, Lewis Nightingale forced his way past two defenders into the box and set up Leon Scott, whose shot was blocked by Jan Budtz just a few yards out. And the quick burst of chances continued when Scott turned quickly in the box and crossed to the far post where Amar Purewal headed just wide.

Adam Mitchell then hit a low 25 yarder that was fingertipped around the post by Budtz.

Buxton took the lead after 12 minutes. A long ball into the Darlington penalty area was chased by Lee Bennett, keeper Peter Jameson and full back Harrison Scott got themselves into a tangle, and Bennett turned the loose ball home.

It was nearly 2-0 on 18 minutes when a low cross came in from the right, the Darlington defence missed it, and Bennett hit a hard low shot that Peter Jameson pushed around the post.

Jameson pulled off another good stop on 20 minutes when Adam Porritt was left completely unmarked to head another right wing cross towards goal from just a few yards, but the keeper managed to block the ball well on his line.

Quakers levelled on 28 minutes thanks to a patient build up. Nightingale was involved twice, finally playing the ball into the box where Purewal helped the ball on for Liam Hardy to stroke first time into the net – a good goal on his return to his previous club.

Buxton nearly regained the lead just on half time. Defender Jamie Green made a good run down the right, beat three men and crossed to the far post where Alastair Taylor lifted the ball over the bar.

Half time: Buxton 1-1 Darlington

Half time subs
On: Thompson, Gaskell, McLaren, Marley, Winder
Off: Leon Scott, Nightingale, Hardy, Harrison Scott. Mitchell

Martin Gray made five subs at half time, one of them being triallist Ryan Winder who was at Lancaster last season.

Buxton nearly scored at the start of the second half. McLaren was penalised for a foul on Taylor just outside the box – in a league game he might have been shown at least a yellow – and Green curled the free kick just over.

Quakers went in front on 55 minutes. Stephen Thompson cut in from the right and was clipped a few yards outside the area. The ref awarded a free kick that Thompson curled around the wall and into the bottom corner with the keeper beaten.

Two more Darlo subs on 65 minutes. Lovegreen and Walton for Watson and Burgess.

Quakers nearly got a third on 66 minutes when Thompson made a good run to the bye line and pulled the ball back for Purewal, whose shot was cleared off the line, but Buxton should have levelled when Connor Williamson set up Lee Bennett, who sidefooted straight at Jameson from six yards.

Hardy came back on for Purewal on 67 minutes, and Mitchell for Leon Scott on 78 minutes.

Quakers stayed on top after that, with triallist Ryan Winder looking quite useful in midfield, and they scored the third in the last minute when Adam Mitchell beat two men and fired into the bottom corner.

Full Time: Buxton 1-3 Darlington

Darlington: Jameson (sub McLaren 45) , H Scott (sub Marley 45) , Watson (sub Walton 65)|, Turnbull, Burgess (sub Lovegreen 65), Brown, Mitchell (sub Winder 45), L Scott (sub Mitchell 78), Hardy (sub Gaskell 45), Purewal (sub Hardy 67), Nightingale (sub Thompson 45).