shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Brackley Town v Darlington

Brackley Town 2 - 2 Darlington
08 Oct 2016 - 15:00

Quakers are now unbeaten in seven away league games after this 2-2 draw at Brackley, but they were disappointed with just a point with a very good away performance.

Quakers had their first chance when a clearance by Jordan Watson was picked up by Liam Hardy, he cut in from the left and hit a low right foot shot that went harmlessly wide.

Quakers went close on 13 minutes, when Terry Galbraith curled a free kick over from the left into the middle, where Gary Brown put a looping header just over the top.

Brackley hit the woodwork on 15 minutes when Glenn Walker whipped a free kick in from the right, and Watson’s attempted clearing header went against his own crossbar and out for a corner.

Quakers took the lead on 25 minutes with a superb goal. Galbraith came back on the field after lengthy treatment, won the ball in midfield, found Mark Beck who then laid the ball off for Stephen Thompson to hit a terrific right foot shot from 25 yards that flew into the top right corner, his third league goal of the season.

It was nearly 2-0 four minutes later when Josh Falkingham won possession and set up Thompson again, but this time he mishit his right foot shot well wide.

Brackley replied with a good move down the left, which ended with Glenn Walker crossing for Steve Diggin to volley just over.

But Brackley levelled just on half time, when Glenn Walker curled a corner into the six yard box for Gareth Dean to stab in with Paul Woolston stranded.

And Brackley nearly went 2-1 up when Glenn Walker crossed from the left for Diggin to head towards goal, and Woolston reacted well and pushed the ball over the bar.

And from the corner that followed, Luke Graham won the ball in the air, but Liam Marrs cleared off the line.

Half time 1-1


Quakers started the second half really well, with a good run by the dangerous Gillies on the right and his cross was just an inch too high for Beck.

Quakers went 2-1 up on 59 minutes when Gillies made another good run and was tripped just outside the box, and he curled the free kick delightfully over the wall and into the net.

It was nearly 3-1 when Gillies made another great run from the left and hit a powerful shot just over the angle.

Brackley nearly levelled when Stefan Moore played a 1-2 on the edge of the box and struck a left foot shot just wide,  But at the other end Gillies made a dazzling run and set up Falkingham, whose shot was blocked.

Brackley levelled on 74 minutes when James Armson crossed from the left for Shane Byrne to beat Woolston with a looping header that dropped into the corner.

Quakers pressed forward looking for the winner with Gillies always looking dangerous, but it was Brackley who nearly got the winner with two minutes left, The ball came into the middle where Woolston blocked from Armson, and the ball rebounded off Marrs just wide of the post.

Final score Brackley 2 Darlington 2

Attendance 642


Woolston, Marrs, Watson, Turnbull, Galbraith, Brown, Thompson (sub Mitchell 84), Falkingham, Beck, Hardy (sub Cartman 62), Gillies (sub Davie (90+1)

Subs: Jameson, Smith

 Bookings: none


L Walker, Myles, Gudger, Byrne, Graham (sub Lowe 67), Dean, G Walker, Armson, Moore (sub Pitt 75), Diggin (sub Ndlovu 84), A Walker

Subs: Slade, Moyo


Booking: Dean


Referee: J Smith (Milton Keynes)