shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Boston United v Darlington

Boston United 1 - 1 Darlington
23 Sep 2017 - 15:00

Quaker produced a better performance in the light of last week’s FA Cup defeat when they drew 1-1 at York Street.

It looked as if Quakers would win after Stephen Thompson converted a penalty, but Boston levelled in the last 15 minutes. Quakers’ keeper Adam Bartlett also saved a first half penalty in a game that saw few chances.

Quakers’ injury problems struck again though, with James Caton and Phil Turnbull both coming off injured in the course of the game. Mark Beck missed the game because of injury, while Josh Gillies was suffering from flu. David Syers was unavailable.

In the opening minutes, Quakers threatened when David Ferguson beat two men in a run from the left, but Joe Wheatley’s shot was blocked on the edge of the area.

Quakers then dealt quite comfortably with two long throws by Jan Yeomans, and Liam Marrs, once of Boston, did well to head clear a right wing cross

Boston had the first chance on 14 minutes when Jay Rollins wrestled his way past Liam Marrs, and Joe Wheatley, coming back to cover, deflected his shot over the bar.

Boston were awarded a penalty on 24 minutes when Marrs was adjudged to have pushed Thomas in the area, but Darlington keeper Adam Bartlett got down comfortably and saved from Clifton.

New signing Adam Dawson got into the game when he picked up a pass from Joe Wheatley, made a good run up the right and put in a dangerous cross that Keane headed out for a corner.

Boston had a chance on 43 minutes, a free kick went to the far post where Clifton volleyed across the face of goal and wide.

Quakers had to make a sub just on half time, Caton limped off injured, and Saunders replaced him. Overall though, Quakers hadn’t really looked troubled in the first half.

Half time Boston 0 Darlington 0

Quakers won a corner on 52 minutes that was driven in well from the right by Dawson, but it was headed away by the Boston defence.

Quakers had a great chance on 55 minutes when three Boston defenders dallied on the edge of their own box, letting Nathan Cartman in, and the little striker fired just wide of the left hand post.

Bartlett again did well on 58 minutes. Rollins charged into the box, and Bartlett saved at his feet, and recovered quickly to block the follow up.

Quakers got a penalty on 59 minutes when Saunders burst into the box and was tripped by Keane, and the ref pointed to the spot, from where Thompson buried the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Quakers then had to make a sub, Leon Scott coming on for the injured Phil Turnbull, and on 76 minutes Dawson was replaced by Jack Vaulks.

But Boston levelled on 78 minutes when sub Kabongo Tshimanga picked the ball up on the right, worked his way into the box and squeezed the ball past Bartlett.

That was the signal for some Boston pressure as they aimed for the winner. Bartlett had another chance on 83 minutes when Tshimanga set up Hemmings, and Bartlett pushed his shot over the bar. From the corner, the ball came out to Rollins, and his low shot was cleared off the line by Marrs.

But Quakers held on after that for a deserved point, and indeed they pressed for a winner at the other end without breaking into the Boston penalty area. Quakers can be happy after the disappointment of last week against South Shields.

Final score: Boston United 1 Darlington 1

Attendance 1051


Team; Bartlett, Marrs, Ferguson, Turnbull (sub Scott 64), Collins, Galbraith, Thompson, Wheatley, Caton (sub Saunders 44), Cartman, Dawson (sub Vaulks 75)

Subs: Wilczynski Gillies

Booking: Galbraith, Wheatley



Willis, Wakefield, Yeomans, McGuire, Kene, McGowan, Rollins, Broadhead (sub Tshimanga 69), Smith (sub Hawley 81), Thomas, Clifton (sub Hemmings 74),

Subs: Chapman, Beatson


Attendance 1051 (141 from Darlo)